Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 52: John 13-14; James 4-5

John 13-14

Jesus washes his disciple's feet. My concern is holiness not hygiene. You must do what I've done to you to one another. Master, who will betray you. What you must do, do it and get it over with.

A new command. Given after Judas leaves to betray Jesus. Interesting teaching placement, different from the other gospels where that command was shared in the context of his ministry, in response to a question. This is a direct, intentional teaching in John's gospel. Love one another. In the same way I have loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples, when they see the love you have for one another.

Really? You'll lay down your life for me!? How many times have I made the choice not to lay down my life for Jesus, choosing comfort, denying risk, remaining where I am, rather than following out into the deep?

"Plenty of room for you in my Father's house. I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. How do we know God? Through Jesus."

The way of Jesus is how we come to understand the truth of Jesus, by living Jesus in our homes and workplaces, with our friends and our families.

"To see me is to see the Father. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am now giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do."

I have witnessed the tendency to expect the above passage to be a blanket understanding that God answers all our prayers, and many even our expected way. I really appreciate Peterson's use of language to say that your request "along the lines of who I am and what I am doing and I'll do it." Gives much clearer qualification than I have previously noticed.

"If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you. The Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can't take him in because it doesn't have eyes to see him, doesn't know what to look for."

"The person who knows my commands and keeps them, that's who loves me." Message text from last Sunday in the Warehouse.

James 4-5

"Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it...You wouldn't think of asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way."

Makes me want to evaluate my prayers, between this from James and John's passage. When am I asking for things not in concert with who Jesus is? What God wants? Why on earth would I get upset when/if God doesn't deliver if I am being selfish and self-focused? Narcissistic much?

"You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way...God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."

"Let God work God's will in you. Say a quiet yes to God. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet." Life's Healing Choices...Celebrate Recovery...

"You're supposed to be honoring the message, not writing graffiti all over it! God is in charge of human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others?"

You know the right thing to do and don't do it, that, for you, is evil.

James refuses to let any piece of truth lay around unused. He bugs us until we pick it up and work it into our everyday lives. He tells us to apply that truth to common things, from personal lusts to professional plans. He insists that everything we do be worked into the life of faith. And in doing so, our lives will be simpler and more focused.

Harsh words for the arrogant rich. Harsh words indeed.Who dares speak these today? Paul Raushenbush. Frank Schaeffer. Rabbi Michael Lerner.

Jesus starts us in the faith life, and Jesus is our goal. People who have a compelling goal don't quit. Their lives are filled with meaning and hope and energy. If they lose their goal, they get discouraged, they give up. James says, "Be patient...Stay steady and strong. The Master could arrive at any moment."

"Friends, don't complain about each other. A far greater complaint could be lodged against you, you know. Take the old prophets as your mentors. They put up with everything, went through everything, and never once quit, all the time honoring God."

Just say yes or no. Just say what is true. That way, your language can't be used against you.

Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of Jesus. Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.

James has incredible words...affirming the process of following, of life surrendering and life-shaping, of redemptive love for one another...giving thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment