Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 49: John 7-8; Hebrews 11-13

John 7-8

Disciples try to push Jesus to the front, to make his deeds more known, so that he can grow in (the world's idea of) power. He didn't draw attention to himself. Teaching in the temple--I didn't make this stuff up--it comes from the One who sent me. A person making things up tries to make himself look good--someone trying to honor God sticks to the facts and doesn't tamper with reality. It's not like you're living God's law...You do circumcision to preserve one item in the law of Moses.

Where's he going that we won't be able to find him? You can't go where I'm going.

Rivers of living water flow from me, and out of anyone who believes in me this way.

We've never heard anyone speak like this man.

Woman caught in adultery. Some scholars say this passage from 8:1-11 was inserted at a later time. This can be said to discount Jesus' silence against this woman's sin (and by extension, our silence as we respond in love, not in judgment and rejection or killing). Notice the man wasn't caught "in the act." Adultery was permissible for men, but not for women. "The sinless one among you, go first: Throw the stone." One of the great mysteries is what Jesus wrote in the dirt. "Does no one condemn you?" "No one, Master." "Neither do I. Go your way. From now on, don't sin."

"All we have is your word on this. We need more than this to go on." Oh. How often do I question God's truth, especially offensive stuff like loving everyone, doing self-examination to keep my heart pure, forgiving endlessly, and more...how often do I question whether Jesus' word is enough. hm.hm.hm.

"Even if I (Jesus) made my judgments out of what I see and touch, they'd be true, because I wouldn't make it out of the narrowness of my experience but in the largeness of the One who sent me, the Father. That fulfills the conditions set down: You can count on the testimony of two witnesses--that's what you've got--my word and the word of the Father."

You can't even see me; how, then, do you expect to see the Father?!...If you won't believe I am who I say I am, you're at the dead end of sins. You're missing God in your lives.

The Father doesn't abandon me. He sees how much joy I take in pleasing him.

"If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. They you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will set you free."

You are trying to kill me because my message hasn't yet penetrated your thick skulls. If you were Abraham's children, you'd have been doing the things Abraham did...If God were your father, you would love me, for I came from God and arrived here; I didn't come on my own. God sent me. You can't handle it. You're from your father the Devil, and all you want to do is please him. He couldn't stand the truth because there wasn't a shred of truth in him. When the liar speaks, he makes it up out of his lying nature and fills the world with lies. I arrive on the scene, tell you the plain truth, and you refuse to have a single thing to do with me...Anyone on God's side listens to God's words. This is why you're not listening--because you're not on God's side.

Jesus incites them to the place where they are ready to stone him, but he escapes. Group was transformed into a lynch mob at his suggestions.

Hebrews 11-13

The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. By faith we see the world called into existence by God's word, what we see created by what we don't see.

In order for faith to be faith, it must be lived faith. Upon this foundation of faith in God, we can build a life.

By an act of faith, Abel brought a better sacrifice to God than Cain. It was what he believed, not what he brought (to obey is better than sacrifice). By an act of faith...Anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that God exists and that God cares enough to respond to those who seek him.

Each of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it? They saw it far off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they are transients in this world. By an act of faith. What can be said I have done "as an act of faith" and what will be said as I live out these days?

Through acts of faith they toppled kingdoms, made justice work, took the promises for themselves. They were protected from lions, fires, and sword thrusts, turned disadvantage into advantage, won battles, routed alien armies. Women received loved ones back from the dead....tortured, killed, brutalized, vagrants...not one got their hands on what was promised.

Do you see what this means? Strip down, start running, never quit. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Study how he did it. On the cross, Jesus connected the worst humans do to the best God does.

Stay on good terms with each other, held together with love.

Hospitality-the daily practice of keeping sacrifice local and immediate: all the food on the table is life that has been sacrificed so that others can be sustained. An ordinary meal is an extraordinary coming together of life.

Regard prisoners as if you were in prison with them.

Make sure you don't take things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God takes particular pleasure in acts of worship--a different kind of sacrifice--

May God who puts things together make all things whole, who made a lasting mark through the sacrifice of Jesus, the sacrifice of blood that sealed the eternal covenant, who led Jesus our Great Shepherd up and alive from the dead, now put you together, provide you with everything you need to please him, make us into what gives him most pleasure, by means of the sacrifice of Jesus, the Messiah. All glory to Jesus forever and always! Oh yes, yes, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment