Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 47: John 3-4; Hebrews 5-7

John 3-4

Nicodemus. "Unless a person is born from above, it's not possible to see what I'm pointing to-to God's kingdom...unless a person submits to this original creation-the 'wind-hovering-over-the-water' creation, the invisible moving the visible, a baptism into a new life-it's not possible to enter God's kingdom...the person who takes shape within is formed by something you can't see and touch-the Spirit-and becomes a living spirit...you have no idea where it comes from our where it's headed next..." "Instead of facing the evidence you procrastinate with questions. If I tell you things that are as plain as the hand in front of your face and you don't believe me, what use is there in telling you of things you can't see, the things of God?"

Give me eyes to see hands in front of my face, and to see more, to see the unseen move of the Spirit of God in my midst. I do believe it is there, that unseen hand, help me to notice its action and movement, to expect it, and to delight in it, anticipating what comes next...

"Everyone who looks up to him, trusting and expectant, will gain a real life, eternal life...This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed (notice the end of this portion of the sentence; it's not conditional, or based upon what follows); by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."

Crisis: "God light streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for darkness. They went for the darkness because they were not really interested in pleasing God. Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates God-light and won't come near it, fearing a painful exposure. But anyone working and living in truth and reality welcomes God-light so the work can be seen for the God-work it is."

So many crazy thoughts went through my head as I typed those verses. Crazy in the sense of, what about the folks who've been given a non-love, non-redeeming, non-reconciling picture of God by folks who claim to speak in God's name? I trust in God's mercy for both, and I wrestle against my own nature to judge, pinned to the mat.

"God himself is the truth. The One that God sent speaks God's words. He doesn't ration out the Spirit in bits and pieces...a lavish distribution of gifts. Whoever accepts and trusts gets in on everything, life complete and forever. And that is also why the person who avoids and distrusts the Son is in the dark and doesn't see life. All he experiences of God is darkness, and an angry darkness at that." Does that last passage give me insight into my own wrestling match provoked by the former words and my internal struggle? Perhaps.

Woman at the well. Baptism scores posted to turn the people for or against Jesus or John. Pick your team. "If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink and I would give you fresh, living water." Artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life. In private, Jesus reveals to the woman that he knows the truth about her. And she is convicted (and converted) by his knowing that truth. "The time is coming when what you're called won't matter and where you go to worship will not matter." Aren't we still waiting for that day?! "It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth....those who are simply and honestly themselves before God in their worship." Does my worship, individual or corporate engage my spirit in the pursuit of God's truth, not my truth, not someone else's truth. Am I seeking to encounter God and willing to risk being affected by God, or do I want God to confirm what I already "know"?

"The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. " "The Samaritan fields are ripe. It's harvest time." Samaritans and Jews didn't speak, one of the reasons the preceding story was so ridiculous. Now Jesus is saying there's a harvest there, and he's not talking about grain. He's talking about people. People there who will be willing to be touched by God's Spirit, who will accept the love of God that comes in Jesus. The woman was there witnessing, and those gathered would be part of the same harvest as the disciples' even though the disciples didn't lift a finger. Ripple effect, from unexpected places...

Prophet is not respected in his/her home town. "Unless you people are dazzled by a miracle, you refuse to believe." Man believed without any evidence of healing. Hm. No sign, nor distraction of a sign. Simply believed. I asked, God heard, done deal. Jesus' word formed the man's belief.

John's gospel is the one most laden with sign and wonder stories, a symbol of its times.

Hebrews 5-7

Priest role as described by Peterson fits a bit of how I understand my call, though I'd not have ever used that word to describe the function. Connector. Puts things together for people-things that have to do with the world, with others, with God. Kind of repairman of relationships, fixing mangled connections, shorted circuits, ill-fitting joints, help it all fit together again. Attempts to restore and heal broken relationships. Christ is the high priest who connects God and humans in living and loving relationship. I have seen the functions Peterson describes in my call, though wouldn't have used the word, priest, probably for a variety of reasons...

Milk or solid food? Should be on solids by now. Grow up in Christ. Turn your back on salvation by self-help and turn in trust toward God; baptismal instructions; laying on of hands; resurrection of the dead; eternal judgment.

Once we've experienced God's goodness, we don't want to re-crucify Jesus (but sometimes we do anyway). Fruit, not weeds and thistles. Harvestable fruit. God can't break God's word. Word can't change, so promise is unchangeable. Grab the promise of hope with both hands and never let go.

Tithes to the priestly tribe of Melchizedek...as they travel through the eons. "Nothing in Jesus' family tree connecting him with the Levitical priestly line?" Melchizedek line is a line of resurrection life. Former way was a system of commandments that never worked. Jesus brings us into God's presence. Jesus is the guarantee of the new covenant, of a far better way between us and God-this one works! Jesus' priesthood is permanent.

Priest in Latin means bridge-builder (pontifix). chewing, I remain...peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment