Sunday, January 9, 2011

What didn't make the message...

Reflections from January 8, 2011...

As I was sitting at my computer yesterday in the midst of my message, I scrolled facebook while talking to my mom. I learned of the shootings of a Congresswoman and a number (7?) of gathered others at a day on her congressional district yesterday.12 persons were affected directly by gunfire. I can’t help but wonder if the shooting was motivated by fear. I understand the suspect is in custody.

In the wake of the death of Officer Hopper in Springfield, the reason for which we may never have answers, I am at a loss.

In my conversation with my mother, I asked if she could ever imagine a more divided nation, since she has a few more decades than me. She said no. I asked if she ever remembered a more violent time. She said no.

Of course, she has always been a middle class white educated female. I am certain there are folks in other life categories, other races, sexual identities, nationalities who have experienced more violence than her or me.

I am mindful of Sarah and two friends playing together upstairs, organizing a political campaign for JA Bizztown later this week.

One of my reasons for not having children sooner was that I was afraid of the world in which I might be raising my offspring. That was one of the numerous fears I overcame…but overcoming doesn’t meant hat fears are unfounded.

We follow one who says that perfect love casts out fear.But fear, any fear, can wield irreparable damage. Irreparable for God? No…nothing is…but that doesn’t mean folks come back to life. It doesn’t mean the dead rise. It doesn’t mean it’s safe to walk the streets. It doesn’t mean it’s safe to speak your mind…or to do your job, which is what Suzanne Hopper and Gabby Giffords were doing when they were shot.

Sarah and her friends were throwing darts. She came in the office to print something. I asked what it was. A picture of Justin Bieber. After much misunderstanding, I learned that they wanted to put his face on the dartboard and throw at it.

I was silent, stunned to hear such words from Sarah. She hadn’t been watching the news, and I remain deeply shaken by it. I explained to her the situation: People had been shot in Arizona. It appeared to be a targeted, deliberate act aimed at one person and those around her. It had been thought out, and those thoughts became action. And now people were dead and wounded. And the blood was spattered from coast to coast. I don’t think she understood me, but she could tell how upset I was.

We talked more about it later...and maybe she understands now. I was paralyzed after 9/11, paralyzed into action and higher consciousness of what was going on around me, around us. I pray for the same kind of awakening from this tragedy.

2 comments:

  1. This article provides the sunshine throughout that we have a tendency to are ready to observe the reality. this is {often|this can be} often Associate in Nursing awfully nice one and provides in-depth knowledge.

    Webroot Login

    Bitdefender Central

    mail.aol.com

    avast login

    Roadrunner Email

    Garmin.com/express


    ReplyDelete